queen of the damned

get to know the real me...read everything about me...

Friday, March 11, 2005

as an ED

It has been a year since my term started as the Executive Director of this organization…but before I write something about I being the head of UP Mayon I would like to backtrack a little bit…
1st year, A.Y. 2000-2001…I was a mere freshie…plucked out from the province…experiencing culture shock…then there goes the Mayon pips…they swooped out of nowhere…everyone was radiating a friendly aura…each member was there to “welcome me and my co-apps with open arms”…then…Hell Week, FI & FR…I love UP Mayon! I love UP Mayon! I love UP Mayon!…(bang…splash)…I can barely remember what happened when I was an applicant but one thing that I can surely remember was the feeling that had overcome me when I shouted those words…yeah I LOVE UP MAYON!
UP Mayon…for me it was training ground…this organization unleashed a skill in me that I never thought I had…I started as a mere member…then Finance Committee Head…I hate money matters and maybe that’s the reason why I wasn’t able to do something productive when I was holding that position…then Internal Affairs Committee Head…and I can honestly say that this was the moment when I started to develop the “leadership skill” that they were talking about…this moment was a shining moment for me but the darkest to the applicants…this was a never-ending shouting moment…banging tables…tearing, burning and flying sigsheets…tears of applicants…I will admit I am a power tripper…and that characteristic I have carried through my Executive Director days…
I thought I would be an effective ED just as I was an effective Internals Head…I thought it’d be chicken feed…I thought wrong…
The sem started just fine but not good enough…there were activities…the Acquaintance Party was alright but the invites did not pursue their application…there was Bikol Karawat, we were active and vying for the championship…but something went wrong, everyone went busy and were not available to play…we settled for the fourth place…Final Rites…two on probation applicants…we spent money and wasted energy…I was devastated…then an officer resigned…I was hopeless…
I didn’t know where to start…but I am the nominal head of the organization…the members have given me their vote…their trust…and I will not fail them…we pursued the School Hopping Activity without any idea on how to conduct the said activity for I have never attended a single school hopping since I became a member…I was very glad of the result…
The first sem of my term was hell…I was hopeless…I was bombarded on all sides with problem…but despite the darkness that was engulfing the organization a tiny shimmering light appeared…it happened on my birthday…it was acquaintance party…this was very different from the previous parties…we conducted a very informal gathering at our tambayan…and thank goodness they pursued the application…then there was UP Fair…we had an isaw booth…we haven’t had that big profit but the real purpose was accomplished…for the members to experience how it feels to have a booth during the Fair…
With regards to the application…I didn’t know what happened but this batch of applicants have become my babies…maybe it was the thought that they will be the next members of the UP Mayon and through them lies the future of the organization…they did not fail me…Talents Night was the best…the best I have ever seen in the history of Mayon…they were very dedicated…and another surprising event was the attendance of most of the members that I haven’t seen for sems during the Final Rites…I was overwhelmed…
My term started just fine…then it went so bad …I was at the point of crashing down and the only thing that kept me from falling was the dedication to the organization I love so much…I struggled to keep myself sane…I spent nights thinking on what I should do…I spent hours talking to my Mayon friends about the problem that the org was facing…and I have cried a thousand rivers…there was a point when I thought of giving up…I was too tired…physically, spiritually, mentally and emotionally tired…but I did not gave up…I held on to what was left…and now I can’t say that everything is back to normal…there are still roads to travel…we are just on the way to recovery…I’ll be part of the recovery…but it wouldn’t be me who will lead the team…to YOU I wish you all the strength, courage, and a great deal of patience…goodluck!

--we are back in the game…we’re not sure if we’re going to win or lose…but we sure are going to do three points, rebounds, assists… we’ll even do fastbreaks…we sure are going to give a good defense…and we’ll shout head, head, head…shirt, shirt, shirt…rotate, rotate, rotate…we may or may not bag the crown…but we’ll surely be always BABAD SA LARO!--

-maggi b. buitizon-
executive director
a.y. 2004 - 2005

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home